Please support the Irish Sea Crossing effort

This is a serious challenge that I hope will be worthy of your support.
Please get involved and be part of what is a bit of a crazy idea to help two very worthy charities - thanks.
Chris Todd.
Back to Irish Sea Crossing website
Donate to WBA or RNLI Now

Tale of the crossing attempt

UpdatesPosted by Chris Todd 25 Oct, 2012 13:10:39

Irish Sea Crossing 7 Oct 2012 .... a voyage in many respects!

The weather forecast: Wow…things happened so quickly it is hard to know where to start…so I guess I’ll start with the weather forecasts. Ever changing and unstable! Just a subtle shift in the position of the high pressure is enough to change the forecast from light Easterly winds into light Westerly winds (which would prohibit a crossing attempt). So the forecasts were forever giving us the run-around. On this occasion the weather initially looking good for a crossing on Monday/Tuesday (8th/9th Oct) and we set about making preparations in a progressive and controlled fashion, half expecting, like so many times before that the forecast would change and become unsuitable….

The slow plan to go: However, the conversation on Friday that set this steady action plan in place changed radically on Saturday morning. The weather forecast had changed over night and the window now looked good for a crossing starting Sunday lunchtime and ending Tuesday lunch time. There were some slightly higher than desirable winds forecast (peaking at 14 mph for a short time during Monday night), but over all it was the desirable 7 kts or less. The bonus was that the tides were the smallest I had ever seen them and … although, not the best forecast for wave height I have seen, the waves were looking good with forecasts of around 2 feet.

The "go" decision gets brought forward: The safety boat is kept in a tidal harbour and due to the tide times needed to leave no later than 5am Sunday, so at 09:00 on Saturday the decision was made to go for it. Saturday was a bit of a dash to finish some final adjustments to the Tredalo, sort kit, pack and get to Wales. Needless to say it was a lot of work, so I was very glad to have had the help from my wife, Joy, and supporting crew member, Dale. Joy and I arrived in Wales in the early hours of Sunday morning. I got a good 5 hours of sleep but couldn't eat much for breakfast on Sunday morning....when daylight broke I could see the weather was looking epic. Mirror flat sea in the bay. Perfect.

The launch: Set up of the Tredalo started at about 9am on the beach, with the arrival of Dale to help, and everything went smoothly. The arrival of the safety boat was a magnificent sight. To see it speeding across the flat calm sea was very reassuring. It was great to see Gail and Annie from the WBA and to see a lot of folk from the RNLI. When things were all set I had a moment to realise that I hadn't eaten anything and so started the steady guzzling of lovingly prepared flapjacks (a good mixture of fat, sugar and carbs) that would continue for many hours to come. The tide times meant that we needed to leave Trearddur Bay at around 13:00. With a few delays - I’m not sure if getting the safety boat anchor fouled on a submerged mooring chain in the bay should have been taken as an omen?...but I thought nothing of it - and we set off.

Tredalo leaving Trearddur Bay, Sunday lunchtime 7 Oct 2012.
[Thanks to Rachel Sayer for this photo...]

Leaving the Bay: It was fantastic to see so many people there to see us off. I haven’t worked out if they were there to see us, or just there anyway. Nevertheless it was great to see everybody waving me off with good wishes as we set out of the bay. Howard…a local fisherman, was very kind and offered to give Joy a lift out some of the way in his boat…so Joy was able to accompany us for the first ½ mile or so of the journey. This sort of interest and helpfulness typifies what I have experienced throughout this challenge. Amazing!

RIB Energy, the Safety Boat, and Tredalo leaving Trearddur Bay.
[Thanks to Rachel Sayer for this photo...]

Getting stuck in: I have to say, when the local boats returned to the bay, and all that remained was the safety boat and I, then, I felt that we were “on for the task”. All the months of planning, all the little hiccups and set backs, all the distractions……. all left behind. There was a moment of liberation. I call it the “airport lounge feeling”. When you get to the airport departure lounge….there is nothing more that can be done, you have done it all. Now it is time for the journey. Pure single minded focus set in. All the distractions of the morning had made it easy to forget that I still had the little job of spending the best part of two days on a mobile stepper machine.

About 14:00 - just leaving Trearddur Bay behind.
[Thanks to Bushman Trackers for this data]

The comfort of the safety boat: As we progressed it became obvious that the safety boat (call-sign “RIB Energy”) had a preferred cruising speed that was slightly higher than mine. RIB Energy therefore adopted a “zig-zag” pattern behind me, and then when the crew obviously got bored with that, they occasionally encircled me, in a slow lazy fashion. It was a great comfort to hear those great big diesel engines burbling away in the distance behind me. There were times when I couldn't hear the safety boat and these lasted right up until the point I became conscious of this fact….which precipitated an immediate look behind me to find her. She was never too far away. Loss of contact with the safety boat would be a bad thing. It featured top in the risk assessment and would have required me to start the “loss of safety boat drill” immediately.

Out at sea: Conditions for the first few hours were perfect. Slight seas, wave heights of ½ ft to 1 ft. and the water had an oily appearance - very calm. Winds were light Easterlies as forecast, I would guess at 5 mph, but it was hard to tell from the Tredalo. It was a weird picture of the world. Nothing but open ocean and the blur of flickering paddles as the Tredalo wheel turned. Progress was swift and we were soon out past the furthest reaches of the Holyhead promontory, but many miles south of it. It was at this point that I saw the only other vessel on the whole voyage…a ferry leaving Holyhead…probably bound for Dublin. Not long after that time I saw a formation of four “flying penguins” pass by just ahead of me flying at what must have been about 20 feet above the waves. They may have been Puffins or Kittiwakes – I’m not sure - but it made me feel that I was “proper” out at sea now.

Flat calm sea at the start of the crossing - sadly it didn't stay like this.
[Image courtesy of Barcroft Media]

Hard work but fun with the Safety Boat: Whilst I was getting down to some hard graft and sorting out some finer details of kit arrangement – not easy when you have to be holding on with two hands most of the time – I had the odd moment to observe the crew onboard the safety boat. The safety boat crew had a duty/rest/sleep rota – I could see those on “rest” amusing themselves by fishing off the back of the boat or by standing at the bow looking longingly towards the West like Leonardo DiCaprio. Fun times with the sun gently setting, each hour a little lower and the waves a little bit larger. I had worried that I would have nothing to aim for…no landmarks on which to pin my motivation…. but it wasn't like that at all. Although it was hard work, the ever changing skyscape was delightful to watch and was a great distraction…it seemed to draw me longingly westwards and occupied my thoughts. (Don’t tell them, but the occasional radio call from the safety crew might have helped a bit too).

Progress was swift: After just over two hours Neil informed me that we had hit 10% of the westward distance. A tenth of the way? In two hours? Surely not! But it was true, the progress was far swifter than any planning or testing had indicated and that was a huge motivator….this meant that if things stayed the same that I would only have to go through one night and not the two we were all dreading. Get in there! As dusk set in the waves were noticeably more “significant” the Tredalo was being rocked from plus 30 degrees to minus 30 degrees roll angle in a time period of 1 to 2 seconds every 5 to 10 seconds. In short, it was now “rough” (in Tredalo terms). Thirty minutes before dark I stopped to don warmer clothes. Always something that I had dreaded…but I had planned for, everything was “zip on” – even the trousers. The worst thing to put on were the gloves….you need to use both hands in the process…and whilst doing that it is very hard to hold on whilst being kicked about by the waves.

Position approaching 18:00
[Thanks to Bushman Trackers for this data]

Preparing for the Night: Pleased with the transition into warmer clothes we continued into the darkness. I configured the Tredalo for night ops which included raising the telescopic light mast, sorting a few torches and attaching glow sticks to my life vest. This was it...the dreaded long night. Due to the lack of a fixed visual reference, the safety boat took pole position and eaked out a good distance ahead of me, such that I could simply aim for the mid point of it’s zig-zags. This saved me the effort of monitoring my GPS heading, which saved not only batteries but precious physical effort too.

Position at about 20:00 hrs.
[Thanks to Bushman Trackers for this data]

A quite routine: The comms between myself and the safety boat crew had steadily diminished as time went on into the night. I didn't want to make any calls as I suspected that the crew duty/rest/sleep pattern was now in full effect. So I decided that it was going rather well and that we were properly “game on” and settled down into a brainless rhythm for the night, long since having lost sight of the land of Wales and only now able to see the red anti-collision lights on some industrial towers, if I made the effort to look back. I was feeling great, I felt much stronger than I had expected to and with the prospect of only 24 hrs at sea instead of the predicted 40 – 48 hours I was feeling absolutely fabulous.

Position at about 21:00 hrs.
[Thanks to Bushman Trackers for this data]

The beginning of the end: My recollection of time is not good. Although I had a watch, I was not relying on it to mark any part of the passage of the journey as I had thought I would. So, I say with some uncertainty that it was about 21:00 when I felt the steering forces go light. The waves were giving me a rocky ride now, to the point where my arms, shoulders, and back were starting to feel the strain of constantly holding on. Without constant directional correction each wave would veer the raft off course, so it was immediately apparent that something was wrong when the force on the tiller bar in one direction almost completely disappeared. With my head torch I was able to see that one of the two rudders was missing. The constant rolling of the raft over many hours, caused by waves coming in from the starboard side, had weakened the rudder attachment point to the point of failure. Hoping that there was some other explanation, other than the one that I had plainly seen for myself, I called in the safety boat for a visual inspection.

Its true!: The safety boat cruised slowly by and turned on a spot light turning night into day and then came the radio transmission “confirm, missing one rudder”. It was real… This unplanned failure caused a fair bit of rapid thinking. On my part, I started walking again. I was kitted out for hard physical work, and standing around being dripped on in the breeze wasn't good for me. So I carried on walking and steering with one rudder whilst, collectively, we drew up a plan.

What to do next: We had three options. One: turn back. Two: alter course to run with the waves to reduce bending on the remaining rudder or Three: maintain course and try to somehow protect the remaining rudder. Option one was quickly ruled out as the Tredalo still had a functioning rudder and could theoretically make it to Ireland with a single rudder. Option two was considered for a time but due to the wave direction there was a concern that this would effectively mean heading southwest and would not enable the westward progress needed, so option three was selected and all efforts on the Tredalo went into managing to steer with the rudder lifted (as if preparing for beaching) rather than in the fully down position as when deployed for steering. By ensuring that the rudder was lifted as often and as much as possible, the hope was that this would reduce the bending stresses on the rudder mounting point.

Lights over Ireland: It was at this point that we all noticed that the way we wanted to head (i.e. west) was lit for us by a beaming bright glow in the clouds above Ireland – a wonderful sight. The visual cue reduced my workload of keeping a heading but the constant fighting with the rudder steering and rudder lift controls effectively doubled my physical workload. The steering required 100% concentration if I was to maximise the amount of time the rudder was lifted and save any chance of making it to Ireland. If I diverted my attention, even just for 30 seconds to make a radio call, I would find myself 90 degrees off heading…so it was hard going. I felt that at every moment I was fighting for the success of the crossing and somehow the faith that everyone had placed in me, and most importantly the success of the endeavour for both charities.

Pressing on with one rudder: The next hour or so was spent with huge exertion wrestling with the controls hoping that this would save the remaining rudder. Perhaps because of the extra effort, I had stopped eating. Perhaps it was because of the constant looking down at the controls instead of at the horizon (the beckoning clouds, that were still there), I don’t know, but I had become aware of an uneasy feeling. I stopped drinking carb drink and switched entirely to water. Pure fresh cold crisp refreshing water. And through all the mayhem there were occasional glimpses of a stability that would get me through the night to the hours of dawn.

This can't be happening: This feeling was shattered by a lack of response to a steering command, as the craft yawed off towards the south, and when the craft remained unresponsive even with the rudder controls set to the full “down” position. I stopped, inspected the craft using the light of my head torch and now saw the familiar sight of the rudder steering mechanism being washed by the waves, but completely lacking in the company of a rudder. To continue would have been impossible. As soon as I stopped to carry out a visual inspection I started to feel like a pinball in a pinball machine, jostled by the waves, seemingly from every direction. I called in the second rudder failure to the safety boat and set about releasing the pre-attached tow-rope from it’s stowed position on the Tredalo. I don’t know if it was the sudden halt to the crossing attempt and all that it meant to me, or if it was the head down activity in a wobbly sea, perhaps combined with some physical exhaustion, but within a minute of the second rudder failure I was overcome by sea sickness and generously donated my last hours worth of water intake to the Irish Sea. It was now some time around 22:00.

About 22:00 hrs. Point of most westerly progress. Second rudder failure.
23 miles of distance covered, measured in a straight line.

[Thanks to Bushman Trackers for this data]

Boarding RIB Energy: In the few moments that it took the safety crew to configure for towing I couldn't see the point of fighting my wobbly legs, so I took an unexpectedly comfortable lie-down in the wheel. The relief from the feeling of a spinning head was only brief, as in no time at all I drew to my feet as I watched the safety boat approaching alongside. Dale, who I would affectionately describe as a “gentle giant” plucked me bodily from the Tredalo and I was on board. The crossing attempt was over. Neil and Dave rapidly secured the Tredalo for towing with some skillful rope work, whilst I sat there, on the floor of the safety boat cabin – like a sack of potatoes. I can remember feeling void of emotion. Not cold, not hungry, not thirsty, just tired, exhausted and feeling ill with my head spinning.

Tredalo on tow: I have since learnt from the crew that the normal procedure for towing on a long rope was highly unsuccessful, with the Tredalo often yawing off heading and generally misbehaving. It’s hulls are not well suited to turning and the raft is greatly affected by the waves – this seems to have made it very difficult to tow. Subsequently, a more stable towing position was found, with the Tredalo hauled close to the safety boat. This was much better, but the Tredalo was no more happy about being towed than I was about being on board the towing vessel!

Blessed with a good crew: Now looking back on these events, the last hours of the fight to save the second rudder had not only brought on sea sickness that I had been fighting through, without realising it, but also physically drained me more than I realised. The two together meant that I was a complete washout on the boat. After being sick again on the boat, narrowly avoiding the skippers spag-bol in the crew’s cooking pot, and instead targeting a nearby bucket, I recovered enough to walk around a bit. This was just enough to realise that I was getting in the way and would be better off making myself scarce. I got out my quarantined emergency bag with my sleeping bag and warm clothes, had something hot to drink, some chocolate and drifted off to sleep as we all made back towards Wales. I can recall how lucky I felt at the time to have such a good crew. It was so nice to know that I didn't have to lift a finger…and that all necessary actions would just “be taken care of”. So a massive, huge, thanks to Dave, Neil and Dale who took over and just sorted things, and took good care of me, whilst I was awash with a mixture of sea sickness (which initially only got worse on the safety boat) and the exhaustion of fighting to save the crossing attempt for the last hour or so.

The end of the end: It was after several hours, the tracker trace shows, we were almost halfway back to Trearddur Bay when I heard the command “stop the boat, stop the boat”. The Tredalo had broken up whilst under tow. By the time I made it to the aft deck the Tredalo was just being cut away and was sadly lost at sea. It is evident that the craft was not up to the extended period of towing against such rough seas. That moment cemented the final closure of this Irish Sea Crossing attempt.

The tracker beacon was secured to the Tredalo. Last reported position!
[Thanks to Bushman Trackers for this data]

Feelings on reflection: I am prone to looking back with “what ifs” and “if only”s and I have had a few nights of disturbed sleep whilst my brain sorts and files all the experiences, but overall I can’t think of any decision made that I would not want made the same way given the same circumstances and I am content that I gave the challenge my all. I gave it every possibility of success within the constraints I had - I had reached the point where the only way to know if the Tredalo and I were ready, was to give it a go. So I don’t count this as a failure, I count this as a success, in more ways than one. My biggest upset, though, is that having received so much effort from so many people, and so much media interest, I am saddened to have been so far away from my charity targets, only achieving 14% or the target. Perhaps one day I will try again and earn my Guinness and perhaps reach the original £20k charity target.

Finally, don't believe everything you read in the papers: There has been much press coverage – not all of it very accurate. Some papers reporting that I only got 9 miles, some even reporting that I was “lucky” to be picked up by “a passing vessel” - which, is clearly ludicrous…. So, just for the record…the authorities were aware of the planned crossing, we were in regular contact and kept the Coast Guard fully informed with locations and status updates and at no time did we ask for, need, or receive any external help during the crossing attempt.

Thanks to all that have contributed, supported, helped, and donated to help the Wiltshire Blind Association and the RNLI charities that this event was designed to support. Please also take the time to read my previous "thanks" post....

Thank you
Chris Todd

  • Comments(2)//

THANKS....thank you for your support..

UpdatesPosted by Chris Todd 21 Oct, 2012 19:29:56

The first of the aforementioned 4 posts that I anticipate writing over the next few days….this is to express my thanks, for just reading this you are showing your continued support to the idea of the Irish Sea Crossing. I make no apologies for the length of this post...


Firstly, I wanted to recognise the overwhelming support that I have had for what would at first appearance seem to be a completely ludicrous idea. I have to echo Neil’s sentiments (see Neil’s previous post – Being Inspired) in that I have found so many people willing to give generously of their time and support. Without all of this support the crossing attempt would not have happened…

Thanks – I have an idea…what do you think?

Neil had no idea what I was about to ask him. A year previous to this meeting, Neil had sent me a photo of his 5m sea going Rigid Inflatable Boat (RIB) that he uses for diving trips. This looked like a fine specimen of a boat, just the job to act as a safety boat for the Irish Sea Crossing attempt. Neil didn’t say No, which was a good start…but he did ask for a few days to consider the proposal. It wasn’t but a day that had passed before Neil was making lists of things we would need to consider and bringing to bear his sea-going experience. Neil has been fully committed to this idea since (I’m going to say…) the day after we first discussed it. He invested much time, effort, and money in upgrading his RIB to make it a fine option for the crossing attempt, should we have been unable to secure an alternative. Neil has been there, helping with the navigational planning and working out some of the “if”, “but”s and “maybes” along the whole course of the evolution of this endeavour. I remember one session talking through all the safety risks; what happens if…fog / radio failure / change of weather / ship on collision course / rough seas over the sand banks / loss of contact between me and the safety boat / etc…etc…etc, it was a long session and we both ended up very tired after that one! So, for being with the idea from the start, for providing continuous effort and attention to detail, for being my “moderator” when I was overly optimistic about weather forecasts, for unwavering commitment and constant state of readiness for this crossing attempt (not easy when the weather opportunities were so few and far between). …thank you Neil, the perfect partner for this endeavour.

Thanks - Pontoons and Paddles

Thanks have to stem right back to the early days of the idea where I had much help for the construction and testing of the first attempts at making the Tredalo. Particularly, I would like to thank James Steele and his Dad, Chris Steele, for generous help with the pontoon and paddle construction. James also helped with initial lake trials and provided a safety boat for the initial sea trials (Poole Harbour was great). Thanks to Richard Bamboat for staying up to 3am in true adventurer fashion to get the paddles attached prior to the first ever lake test, and for subsequent assistance with “final preparations of kit” for the crossing attempt.

Thanks - I don’t suppose you might have one of these I could borrow?

Thanks too, to the Spriggs. I will never forget the “wire” I got from Graham Sprigg whilst I was in the Arctic on a previous challenge, regarding reasons to stop when trying to achieve something, it read “food is ok, but sleep is for wimps”, and this philosophy was certainly pushed to the limits very often for this challenge in preparing for various test runs and on the actual day of the crossing itself! Graham has been a constant source of support and of generously loaned equipment….including a “floating” GPS….hmm!? (Sorry about that Graham)!

Thanks – “I can’t get this kayak to go straight”

Neil Houghton helped out on a number of test runs, generated the concept of the stabilising hand rail (al’a treadmill running machine) and provided some last minute website user testing to find out if the tracking beacon was working as it should (it was). So, thanks to Neil for all help.

Thanks - Can I borrow your lake?

Although it seems like a long time ago…thanks to Jim Butler for loan of his farm lake for initial training sessions. I have never seen cows so confused as when we towed the Tredalo through their field to get to the lake!

Thanks - I need a website

Enter Steve Fenemore. Thanks to Steve for sorting out the foundations on which the website was built which is worth more than can be described here. Can you imagine trying to describe in words what I was attempting and making it sound possible? Much easier to say “take a look at”.

Thanks - Are you free?…I just need to move 200kg of metal (again!)

Without the endless and untiring support from “the main mover” Rob Buckland, testing and development progress would not have been possible. Despite me pouncing as soon as Rob arrived home after a 12 hr day, Rob was always willing to heave bits of the Tredalo around the garden in what seemed like an endless cycle of disassemble, move, assemble, test, disassemble, move, assemble, train, disassemble, move, assemble, test, …etc. So thanks to Rob for his most sterling support!

Thanks - Those that know…or know someone that does

It is amazing how a brief conversation can change the course of events. Such a conversation occurred when I spoke with Sam Healy, who put me in touch with Mark Clark and Patrick Carnie. Mark helped with advice on press matters and offered many contacts of his own…including one for tracking beacons! Patrick was very keen to help…and as a result Patrick unlocked the start of the flood of help that I received. This started with Pains Wessex sponsoring the flares, and subsequently issuing a press release. Which lead to the story being picked up by a media agency, Barcroft Media, who helped to raise the profile of the event up to the point of being front page news in Ireland and in the media on every continent in the world. So, thanks to Sam, Mark, Patrick and to Barcroft Media.

Thanks - Lights, Camera, Action!

At this point I should also thank James and Thomas Mahoney for helping me build the Tredalo (and again, and again, and again) for its photo shoot....'can you just do that again please'?

Thanks - The pea-green boat

Thanks have to go to Bill Peters for provision of the best safety boat that could have accompanied the crossing. Imagine a 45ft search and rescue vessel, fully stacked with all the safety gear,…considering the charities, very pertinent to the WBA, a key bit of kit was the RADAR which gave us sight at night – a worry was not being seen by other ships at night, but the RADAR meant we could look after ourselves! Food for thought? Thank you Bill, and thanks to RIB ENERGY.

Thanks - The folk in the pea-green boat

Thanks to Dave Rogers of Ambient Marine, who captained the safety boat during the crossing attempt. What a star. Thanks to Dave for amazing support in the preparations and for the unbeatable short notice response to the “go go go” decision. Dave’s flexibility and willingness to help in this endeavour “made” the crossing attempt possible. Dave’s professionalism and ease with the conditions and situations made everybody involved feel safe throughout the crossing attempt, day and night. Outstanding job. Thank you.

Thanks to Neil Radcliffe for planning support as mentioned above…and also for seeing the planning through to the day itself – it was great to watch the navigation unfold exactly as Neil had predicted. It was heartening to see Neil enjoying the trip as much as I did, having earned it in more ways than one with hard effort and perseverance. I don’t think I’ll ever forget Neil’s hand waving signals, indicating that he could see the mountains of Ireland ahead, just before the sun went down. Thanks for your help Neil.

Thanks to Dale Humphries who willingly dropped everything to help on the final day of prep and so ably assisted with the setup on the beach before boarding the safety boat, I’m not sure I can picture a more contented sight than Dale fishing off the back of the safety boat, whilst I walked into the sunset.

Thanks to the whole crew – I wouldn’t hesitate for a second to have the same crew again – should that ever come to pass! Thanks to the crew of the pea-green boat (RIB ENERGY).

Thanks – My darling wife

I think it is fair to say that this event has consumed me. It took much more effort than I ever realised, so many small things (administration things mainly) sometimes felt like I was being nibbled to death by ducks and it was as if the event would never get to the point of “launch”. Thanks to Joy for being there to support me through the peaks and troughs of the wavy path to the start and then the wavier than forecast path to the finish.

Thanks – My family

During the planning and preparation family members have helped in various ways. Whether it be support on the phone, spreading the word for the charities, taking a 'holiday' with us to test the Tredalo in Trearddur Bay and being on stand by to collect me from Ireland – it was all vital help and support. So to my family, I say thank you all very much. Thanks!

Thanks - The sponsors

Of key importance to the attempt were the efforts and support from many individuals and companies to help with equipment and logistics without which this event would not have happened in the slick and efficient way in which it did… HUGH thanks to those that sponsored me (for more details see the Sponsorship thread on this blog - see menu selections on the right hand side).

Family Adventure Store – Sailing rope for rudder steering…and for being my first sponsor.

Drew Marine – For flare packs, vital safety gear for collision avoidance, location and rescue.

Likeys – For drinking pipes and dry bags that made life on the ocean a bit easier.

QinetiQ Bushman Trackers – For Tracking device, and superb support.

QinetiQ – For sponsoring the safety boat fuel. A very major part of the jigsaw puzzle.

Jewson – For provision of insulation foam for buoyancy.

Southern Tank Services – For superb fuel pumping service, provision of containers and filter.

Hacklings – For provision of amazing short notice transportation of the safety boat fuel.

Thanks – Those waiting in the wings

As can be seen, many people have helped to make the crossing attempt happen, many of whom I have mentioned. But, there were many others who helped. Many friends and family members who offered support and who were waiting to be called into action, should the need arise. So to those waiting in the wings, prepared to help, but for one reason or another not called on…thank you for being there – ready to spring into action, should the need have arisen.

Thanks – Those watching and supporting

It seems that this challenge created a lot of interest and many, many people have sent through great messages of support and encouragement. I am sorry that the outcome was not as fitting as it might have been, to respond to all of these good wishes – but it was an adventure, with many unknowns. So thanks to all those that recognised the spirit of the endeavour and who got involved and wished me well for the crossing and for the fund raising for the charities – thanks to you ALL.

Final Thanks – The donations

Thanks to all those that have generously donated funds to the charities in recognition of the enormous effort that has been applied to the crossing attempt, even before the launch on the day, and for recognising the spirit of the attempt. These charities provide great services and these services are expensive to upkeep so your donations are important and very welcome. Thank you. Last plug….you can still donate via my JustGiving site.

So, from me, my overwhelming feeling is that of gratitude for all that have helped this event on behalf of me and the charities (the Wiltshire Blind Association and the RNLI).



  • Comments(1)//

Now the dust has settled…...

UpdatesPosted by Chris Todd 20 Oct, 2012 19:08:55

I wanted to offer my own thoughts and reflections on the events which naturally fell into the following areas…

1. Thanks.

2. Tale of the crossing attempt…

3. What I have learnt…

4. What next?

So over the next few days I will be writing posts to cover those subjects… …ISC has occupied so much of my time and emotion for so long (and the time, effort and emotions of many others)…I feel this is appropriate and I hope you will enjoy reading them.

Thank you


  • Comments(0)//

Thanks to Hacklings Storage and Distribution

SponsorshipPosted by Chris Todd 04 Oct, 2012 16:21:19

A massive thanks to Hacklings Storage and Distribution for transportation of the fuel for the safety boat.

The fuel for the safety boat has to be one of the most important parts of the jig-saw puzzle and moving it around the country to get it to the Safety Boat, Rib Energy, Liverpool docks, has been one of my biggest headaches!

Rapid and efficient movement of hazardous substances, I have discovered, is not what I am good at. Too many complications / regulations / considerations and qualifications involved! But, luckily for me, shipping of hazardous goods is just one of the things that Hacklings Storage and Distribution are good at!

The introduction on the Hacklings website,, states "Not all Haulage companies are the same" and I have to say, that I agree. I have contacted quite a number of transport agencies to investigate shipping this rather important load. As soon as I started talking to Hacklings, I was amazed by their helpfulness and efficiency.

It seems to me to be an effective organisation which great flexibility and rapid decision making…which is a perfect combination, for changing situations, such as shipping fuel for a safety boat, under the imminent threat of good weather and a launch for the Irish Sea Crossing attempt.

So, thanks to Hacklings for their quick and eager support for the WBA and the RNLI, two great charities, and also for taking away the worry of transporting the large quantities of fuel needed for the Safety Boat.

Thank you


  • Comments(0)//

Thanks to Southern Tank Services

SponsorshipPosted by Chris Todd 17 Sep, 2012 20:14:51

Thanks very much to Chris Ford at Southern Tank Services for provision of transportation tanks and a pumping service; part of the logistics of moving the fuel for the safety boat.

Southern Tank Services was amazingly helpful and has provided two IBC tanks for transportation of the diesel needed for the safety boat. Despite being super busy, Chris made the time to come and deliver the donated transportation tanks and provide a pumping service to get this very vital part of the Irish Sea Crossing jig saw puzzle under way.

I could tell from just the short time that Chris spent sorting out the fuel transfer that he likes to get things done just right and is willing to go the extra mile to make sure that they are. For example, not content with providing the transportation tanks and the pump service, Chris kindly donated a combined fuel filter / water-absorber, just to ensure that when the fuel gets pumped into the boat that it is in absolutely perfect condition!

A big thanks to Southern Tank Services for being so supportive for my effort to support two great charities. I would even go so far as to say....“Tanks” for everything!

To find out more about Southern Tank Services visit their website at


  • Comments(0)//

Thanks to QinetiQ

SponsorshipPosted by Chris Todd 17 Sep, 2012 20:10:41

Thanks enormously to QinetiQ for provision of the fuel for the safety boat.

The safety boat is a massively important part of the crossing and although provision had been made for a smaller safety boat…this fuel will allow the use of a larger, more capable boat, which will improve the safety aspects for this crossing attempt.

To find out more about QinetiQ visit their website at

So a truly massive thanks for provision of a very vital part of the Irish Sea Crossing attempt.


  • Comments(0)//

8 hour Training Session - Done!

UpdatesPosted by Chris Todd 09 Sep, 2012 22:22:46

Longest training session to date completed today smiley. New all time record. 8 hrs.

Link to Facebook page for video...

The summary: mainly good, some highs and lows, nothing hurts too much. Very tired though, in energy terms it was like running two back-to-back marathons - I will sleep well tonight.

The Stats: 8 hrs, 6 minutes.
Calories out = 6348 (c. 800/hr, about the same as a light - moderate jogging pace).
Calories in = 1360 (4 bananas, 4 crunchy bars and a bit of chocolate. Not enough).

Deficit = 4988 Cals

1 g of body fat = 9 Cals, so if this deficit is true I will have lost 0.5 kg of body fat on this session and this could mean up to 3 kg on the 48 crossing, although I hope carb drinks (not used today) will help pump in more calories.

Steps taken = c 31, 500
Height climbed (in wheel) = c14, 500 ft
Distance walked (in wheel) = c 12 miles

The bad bits:

"Man chaffing" started at about seven and a half hours in. I should know better, but thinking I "only" had half an hour remaining, I did nothing about it. Now I am suffering the consequences. I expect the chaffing problems to be worse in the salty sea air. Hmmm. Body Lube or Vaseline?

"Wobbliness" set in at about five hours in, same as the last training session. I managed to fight it until the end of the session, but it is a worry. It is a bit like being on one of those fairground rides, where you walk thought a rotating tunnel and end up losing your balance. I am hoping that this effect is more easily felt on a static training rig - as I haven't felt in during the sea trails.

Overall, very pleased...8 hrs is 1/6 of the expected crossing time.... and now looking forward to the longer training sessions still to come!



  • Comments(1)//

Press CoveragePosted by Chris Todd 09 Sep, 2012 21:21:34

5 Sept 2012. Pains Wessex sponsors charity Irish Sea crossing in giant ‘hamster wheel’.

The world’s top marine distress signal brand Pains Wessex is sponsoring a charity fundraising bid to ‘walk on water’ across the Irish Sea.

Adventurer, engineer and athlete Chris Todd, from Wiltshire, is planning to walk non-stop across 66 miles of the Irish Sea from Wales to Ireland in a giant human ‘hamster wheel’


  • Comments(0)//
Next »